Thursday, 25 August 2011

Baby Shower Gifts

Minky blanket and shoes

My niece is expecting her first baby in November (I'll be a great Aunt!) and the shower is this weekend. They have chosen not to find out if it's a girl or a boy, so all gifts had to be gender neutral. I decided the baby needed a little knitting and a little sewing to go with the other gifts I picked up. I hope to make him or her a quilt once I know if it's a him or a her.

Sunnyside
Sunnyside
For the knitting I made Sunnyside by Tanis LavaleƩ (available on Ravelry or on her website). I opted to do the cable option without the picot edge to keep things gender neutral. Many people on ravelry have chosen to continue the cables down the side and I love the look, but it was already coming out very small so I didn't want to risk pulling it in anymore. I did do EZ faux seams down the sides. Otherwise I actually followed the pattern (very rare for me).


No matter how much editing I did I could not get an accurate photo of this yarn. It's Sundara sock in sour apple and it has a brighter, more yellow tinge to it than my camera can capture. It's really much prettier in real life.

Minky blanket and shoes
Minky blanket and shoes
baby shoes
crib shoes
I also made a minky blanket and shoes set. The fabric is Michael Miller's Giraffe Garden in citron (from Tonic Living - they're one of the best for modern fabrics here in Canada). The shoes have minky insoles, flannel for the remainder of the inside and organic jersey bottoms. They are reversible, although in this case I don't think you'd bother. But it does mean there are no exposed seams to rub on little baby feet. Pure luxury and stinking cute. I made them in a 3 month size so I didn't bother to put gripper soles on them.


Baby shoes reversed
Reversible

minky insoles
Minky insoles
It's only Thursday and I am actually ready for the shower. Well, almost. I haven't wrapped a thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment