Wednesday, 17 August 2011

Sinking thread ends

The awesomeness that is the Internet never ceases to amaze me. For example, today I'm quilting a baby quilt that's a modified log cabin pattern. I decided I wanted to outline each square, but knew that turning the corners might be problematic as the back is solid so any wonkiness would stand out. So I decided to machine sew the lines but then hand sew each corner. Although time cosuming, I actually enjoy the hand sewing and the control it gives me. What I don't like is the constant threading of the needle. I just started and already I was feeling a little cross eyed.


corner ready to be "fixed"
A corner ready to be finished

A quick google search and voila - a way to sink threads without constant needle threading.


ends tied ready to be sunk into quilt
One side tied - ready to sink the ends

This method is brilliant. Essentially, you double thread a needle with a bright coloured thread (okay, it doesn't have to be bright, but it does make it more fun) but don't pull it all the way through, leaving a loop.


ends placed through loop
Thread ends placed inside the loop

Push the needle through the quilt as if you were burying your ends but before you pull the thread through you place your ends through the loop and then draw them through together.


ends pulled through
Loop pulling the ends out


It's all explained very nicely here by Art with a Needle - scroll down to Robbi's method.


One corner down, many more to go.




Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

Edited to link up with Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your comment on my post! I tried to become a follower....something went wrong, so see if it works after a bit. Would love to have you join Sweetwater Style! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete